If you play the shakuhachi for any period of time and need help keeping good posture while being comfortable I can't recommend a zafu and zabuton enough. If sitting seiza isn't your cup of tea you will be very comfortable sitting cross legged or lotus using this combo pillow and cushion. The Zafu is filled with buckwheat hulls so it won't collapse on you and the zabuton is filled with plush batting to keep the knees and feet comfortable. I just bought a new combo on ebay from a wonderful lady who makes them as part of her zen practice and they came very highly recommended and very very reasonably priced. Her handmade zafu and zabuton combo cost the same as the mass produce zafu on most sites. You can check them out here!

Comments (1)

On April 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM , Bas Nijenhuis said...

Good tip! I use myself a self-made meditation bench from leftover floorboards. Sort of supported seiza to speak.
By the way I like reading your blog!

Bas